Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Some "Firsts...."

This week marks the beginning of a new season of life for our family. Now that we're finally in our city and getting to start our work, I'm realizing how different life is with a child, especially in South Asia. During our last term, Jesse and I did everything together. Sometimes the kind of work that we do and the places we have to go are not very suitable for a 5-month-old, so now I'll be spending more time at home with Joya. I'm excited and wouldn't have it any other way; just adjusting to not being as involved in our work. This week we experienced the following "firsts:"

1. One day, Jesse left before Joya was up and got home after she was in bed, so he went all day without seeing her.
2. Two days Jesse was out (to a village a difficult 3-hour drive away), so I just heard about our work at the end of the day.
3. I experienced what is normal for many couples--I'm so excited when Jesse gets home and want to tell him about every detail of my day and hear about every detail of his..........but he's tired, has used all of his words for the day, and just wants to go to bed.
4. Joya and I went out shopping by ourselves in our city in a taxi. I had her in her Baby Bjorn baby carrier and it went great!

Thankful for this new season, and looking forward to figuring out how I can serve the Lord as a mom. Today Joya and I were able to go along for a training in our city, which was really encouraging to me. I think once we get settled into our house (hopefully next week), we can start getting to know our neighbors and figure out our routine. After 3 months of living out of a suitcase, I'm really looking forward to settling down. So much to look forward to!

2 comments:

Jody and Maddy Snodgrass said...

So good to hear from you. I am glad that you are adjusting well in India. We are moving for the third time in 14 weeks. We are now permanent residents of St. Louis. Yeh. There is a lot of crime here and its much dirtier than Indianapolis. We have been to several churches in the last few months but think God may have found one for us. Only time will tell. Love you all.

SouthAsiaRocks said...

yeah, it's definitely an adjustment :) You Rock!